What is actually driving you to make a decision right now to downsize?
1. Do you WANT to move, or do you feel you HAVE to move? When a senior contacts me about making a move, there are only 2 broad reasons that they are considering a move: they WANT to move to be closer to family, shopping, or to down- size, etc. The other reason is because they feel they HAVE to move due to health, financial, or other reasons. Discovering the real reason for your anticipated move will allow me to help you the best I can.
2. If you could stay in your home, would you? As an Accredited Senior Agent (ASA), I have learned of many programs that available to assist seniors in staying in their homes. These range from financial assistance for renovations that make the property more compatible to your changing needs, to in-home health care, meal delivery and much more. As the number and details of these programs are constantly changing, you need someone on your side who is in tune with these programs.
3. Have you researched all your options? . . . Many people I meet, are amazed at the range of options they have open to them when it’s time to make a move. For those, both homeowner and Realtor®, who do not focus on these options, the array can be overwhelming and add stress to an already emotional time. As an Accredited Senior Agent, I am trained and up-to-date on what the options are here, and have a network of similarly-educated professionals across the country who can help you if you are moving away.
4. Who are you getting advice from, about your living situation? . . . Family, friends, neighbours – they all mean well, and chances are they all have differing opinions. This often leaves you
feeling confused about what is best for you, while you try to keep everyone else happy too.
Well, don’t worry. I understand how you feel, and believe me when I say that many others in your situation have felt the same way. What they have found, however, is that having a knowledgeable counsellor, such as an Accredited Senior Agent, on their side goes a long way towards relieving the stress. At the same time, the ASA training helps me assure your ‘advice-givers’ that you are making good choices for you.
5. Is your Will up-to-date? . . . Studies show that some 48% of Canadians do not have a Will. Of the 52% that do have one, 75% of those are out-of-date. Getting this taken care of will alleviate pressure from you and ensure that your wishes are followed in the future. As an Accredited Senior Agent, one of the values I bring to you is a network of exceptional specialists, including lawyers who can prepare a Will for you if you don’t have one.
6. Do you have professional advisors? . . . A lawyer, accountant, tax planner? While everyone’s need for these professionals is different, there’s a good chance that we’ll be interacting with one or more of them as we move forwards. It will be helpful if you can give me their names and phone numbers when we meet. If you need a referral to an expert, I have some great people that I can recommend to you.
7. When was the last time you sold real estate? . . . . Things have changed significantly over the years, and continue to do so. I’ll take the time to make sure you are comfortable and informed, so you can make the best decisions for YOU. Even if that means you decide to stay where you are for now. As a counsellor, my primary role is to assist you (and anyone else you want involved) in coming to the best decisions for YOU.
8. What questions do you have for me? . . . When a question pops into your head, jot it down. You’ll notice when we sit down together that I will have a list of questions prepared and that I will be taking a lot of notes. I do this to make sure I don’t forget anything. I’ll even give you a copy of my notes for your convenience and reference.
I have received the Real Estate Academy designation ASA,which stands for Accredited Senior Agent. For mature buyers and sellers, there are special needs inclusive of needing knowledge of taxation and estate regulations. I am patient, I work with individuals and their family to always put their needs first. I am dedicated to negotiating the best possible deals for my clients.
The professional training and education I received earning the ASA allows me to represent sellers and buyers who need someone who understands their special interests.
Thank you to Christopher Newell and the Real Estate Academy that has developed the material and content for the Accredited Senior Agent Program. Please feel free to avail yourself of the video library. Call me at 647 218 2414 to arrange a personal visit or email firstname.lastname@example.org.