Saturday, December 6, 2008

Is YOUR Tenant behind in their rent?

Is your Tenant behind in their payments?

Have you talked to them many times to no avail?

What do you do?

Too often when I am consulted the tenant is already 60 to 90 days in arrears, and the situation has become hostile. If you were a management company, with an apartment building, you would indeed leave a fews days grace, but you would immediately serve the Tenant with a Form N4 – Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent.

Complete the details correctly, Make sure that you have included all items. Serve this (give or deliver) in person, to an adult at the residence, leave in the mailbox, slip under the door, send by Post Courier or Fax.

Once done, Complete a Certificate of Service.

Since you have established the Termination Date of the rental and left suitable Notice period based on the situation of your rental e.g. if Month to Month, 14 days is required, you can proceed to the next step.

This is followed by the Form L1 - Application to end a tenancy for non-payment of rent and to collect rent the tenant owesFiling fee: $150.00

Prepare your paperwork then attend at the local Landlord Tenant Board office. They will take your documents and file them with a pending court date. They will (LTB) make copies for you with the court stamp of registration and identify each copy belonging to whom.

Serve this document on the tenant. Complete your Certificate of Service and Fax it to the court office on the number provided.

The Tenant now has access to free legal advise. At the court date the Tenant will have access to Duty Counsel.

Do you homework. Check it once, Check it Twice. Nothing is more frustrating than attending at the Tribunal to realise you have transposed a date or missed a name.

Working with unhappy landlords was at one point in time a stalward contribution to my business model. I would meet landlords who eventually became " DONT WANNERS" (They didn't want to be landlords anymore). They often had outside jobs and didn't have the time or experience to deal with the difficulties of property management.

Landlord Tenant Tribunal representation now requires a licence and a paralegal background ( E & OE Insurance and Law Society Registration) I think this is wonderful as it brings the industry standards higher when a representative must be licenced.

If you are a landlord and are close to becoming a Don't Wanner I would like to meet with you to discuss your situation and refer you to the specialised help you may need. Maybe you just need to know where to get the forms.

Experience is not expense. Its Priceless.

No comments: