Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Are you on a fixed income and need structural repairs?

Homeowner Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program — Homeowner RRAP

The Homeowner RRAP offers financial assistance to low-income households who own and occupy substandard housing to enable them to repair their dwellings to a minimum level of health and safety.

Who is eligible?

Homeowners may apply if:the value of their house is below a specified figure; and their household income is at or below established ceilings (limits) based on household size and area.

Properties must be lacking basic facilities or require major repair in one or more of five categories:

  • structural;
  • electrical;
  • plumbing;
  • heating;
  • fire safety.

Assistance may also be available to alleviate overcrowding.
Other criteria may be applicable.

What assistance is available?

Assistance is provided as a forgivable loan. The maximum loan amounts available vary according to the three geographic zones. Additional assistance may be available in areas defined as remote.

Maximum Total Loan
Zone 1:Southern areas of Canada
Zone 2:Northern areas of Canada
Zone 3:Far northern areas, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Labrador and northern Quebec
IMPORTANT: Work carried out before the loan is approved in writing is not eligible for funding under this program.

Other CMHC programs are available to assist eligible Canadians with repairs to substandard housing, accessibility modifications and adaptations for persons with disabilities and seniors.

In some areas of Canada, funding for these or similar programs is provided jointly by the Government of Canada, and the provincial or territorial government. In these areas, the provincial or territorial housing agency may be responsible for delivery of the programs. Program variations may also exist in these areas.
Contact Information

No comments: